Tom Ellenberger, D.V.M., Ph.D.
Office: 2915 South Building
Research in the Ellenberger laboratory focuses on the molecular structures and cellular functions of proteins that replicate DNA, repair chemical damage, and regulate chromatin structure. These enzymes and regulatory proteins ensure the faithful transmission of our genetic blueprint to future generations.
Most Recent Publications
- Wallen, J.R., Majka, J. and Ellenberger, T. Discrete interactions between bacteriophage T7 primase-helicase and DNA polymerase drive the formation of a priming complex containing two copies of DNA polymerase. Biochemistry 52:4026-4036 (2013). [Abstract]
- Della-Maria, J., Hegde, M.L., McNeill, D.R., Matsumoto, Y., Tsai, M.S., Ellenberger, T., Wilson, D.M., Mitra, S. and Tomkinson, A.E. The interaction between polynucleotide kinase phosphatase and the DNA repair protein XRCC1 is critical for repair of DNA alkylation damage and stable association at DNA damage sites. J Biol Chem 287:39233-39244 (2012). [Abstract]
- Kim, I.K., Kiefer, J.R., Ho, C.M., Stegeman, R.A., Classen, S., Tainer, J.A. and Ellenberger, T. Structure of mammalian poly(ADP-ribose) glycohydrolase reveals a flexible tyrosine clasp as a substrate-binding element. Nat Struct Mol Biol 19:653-656 (2012). [Abstract]
- Ellenberger, T. An arresting development in transcription. Mol Cell. 46:3-4 (2012). [Abstract]
- Sperry, J.B., Smith, C.L., Caparon, M.G., Ellenberger, T. and Gross, M.L. Mapping the protein-protein interface between a toxin and its cognate antitoxin from the bacterial pathogen Streptococcus pyogenes. Biochem 50:4038-4045 (2011). [Abstract]
- Smith, C.L., Ghosh, J., Elam, J.S., Pinkner, J.S., Hultgren, S.J., Caparon, M.G. and Ellenberger, T. Structural basis of Streptococcus pyogenes immunity to its NAD(+) glycohydrolase toxin. Structure 19:192-202 (2011). [Abstract]
- Cotner-Gohara, E., Kim, I.K., Tainer, J.A., Tomkinson, A.E. and Ellenberger, T. Human DNA ligase III recognizes DNA ends by dynamic switching between two DNA bound states. Biochemistry 49:6165-6176 (2010). [Abstract]
- Han, Z., Pinkner, J.S., Ford, B., Obermann, R., Nolan, W., Wildman, S.A., Hobbs, D., Ellenberger, T., Cusumano, C.K., Hultgren, S.J. and Janetka, J.W. Structure-based drug design and optimization of mannoside bacterial FimH antagonists. J Med Chem 53:4779-4792 (2010). [Abstract]
- Perry, J.J. and Cotner-Gohara, E., Ellenberger, T. and Tainer, J.A. Structural dynamics in DNA damage signaling and repair. Curr Opin Struct Biol 20:283-294 (2010). [Abstract]
- Orelli, B., McClendon, T.B., Tsodikov, O.V., Ellenberger, T., Niedernhofer, L.J. and Scharer, O.D. The XPA-binding domain of ERCC1 is required for nucleotide excision repair but not other DNA repair pathways. J Biol Chem 285:3705-3712 (2010). [Abstract]
- Antony, E., Tomko, E.J., Xiao, Q., Krejci, L, Lohman, T.M. and Ellenberger, T. Srs2 disassembles Rad51 filaments by a protein-protein interaction triggering ATP turnover and dissociation of Rad51 from DNA. Molecular Cell 35:105-115 (2009). [Abstract]
- Etzion, Y., Hackett, A., Proctor, B.M., Ren, J., Nolan, B., Ellenberger, T. and Muslin, A.J. An unbiased chemical biology screen identifies agents that modulate uptake of oxidized LDL by macrophages. Circ Res 105:148-157 (2009). [Abstract]