The Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics (BMB) at the Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis invites undergraduate students interested in completing an 8-week research program over the summer of 2023 to apply to our summer research program.
Students will join a lab that matches their interests where they will complete real-life research at the cutting edge of molecular biochemistry and biophysics. Research areas in the department range from single-molecule spectroscopy to molecular simulations to mitochondrial biochemistry. As well as conducting research, students will also attend workshops that cover various important areas in science, including how to design experiments, how to read papers, scientific communication, and guidance on graduate school applications, etc.
No prior research experience is required, and we strongly encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply. Local travel, housing, a meal plan, and an additional monthly stipend of $2000 will be provided (total of $4000 for the 8-week program). The program will run roughly between June 1st – July 30, 2023. Applicants must have completed their sophomore year before June 2023, and the ideal candidates will be considering applications to graduate school in the fall of 2023.
To apply please submit an application that includes the following information:
- A CV (possible template here) and unofficial academic transcript
- A letter of recommendation that can speak to why you would be a good applicant for the program
- A statement of purpose (up to two pages) with the following headed sections:
- What motivates and excites you about science?
- Tell us about a time you have faced a challenge and how you overcame it (or are planning/working to overcome it)?
- Why are you interested in this program?
- What do you hope to get out of the program?
- Information on the type of research you think you’d enjoy and would not enjoy
Application instructions: Please email the application documents as a pdf to firstname.lastname@example.org, and have your letter-writer send their letter to the same address with your name in the subject line.
The application deadline is February 15th. Applicants will be notified of success within 3-4 weeks of the submission deadline.